A place for creativity in relationships, the kitchen, the gym, the home, the garden and, ultimately, in life.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Recipe Half-Win

While I'm sure The Boyfriend would tell you that he loves everything I cook, there are times when I'm better able to please my palate than his. Last night would be a case in point, although he was very gracious about it (well, mostly).  Despite his initial reaction to my concoction, I found it to be a delicious and easy way to use up extra zucchini (Thanks Mel!) that might otherwise shrivel in my fridge for want of a good recipe. See, I want to love zucchini the way I love most vegetables, but I just can't always bring myself to throw it into a dish without wrinkling my nose at it first. I needed a solution, and a healthy one at that, so I browsed around and found some delectable and heavy recipes for zucchini fritters. Mmm, I thought, I can definitely fry me some zucchini drowned in batter! But the health-conscious part of my brain intervened and helped me create a very reasonable facsimile full of good stuff for the body and soul. It may not have done the trick for my vegetable-averse man, but it worked like magic for me. I'll celebrate this one as a half-win, and maybe it will satisfy at least one person in your household as well. You can't win 'em all, right?

Zucchini Coconut Fritters

Ingredients:
2 zucchini
2 eggs
4 tbsp coconut flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp paprika
salt & pepper to taste
coconut oil for pan-frying

Directions:
1. Shred zucchini using a cheese grater or mandoline, then squeeze out the water with your hands. Get messy.
2. Heat 1-2 tbsp coconut oil in frying pan over medium heat, just enough to coat the bottom.
3. In a mixing bowl, scramble the eggs, then add the zucchini and all other ingredients, stirring together.
4. In small dollops, drop spoonfuls of the mixture in the heated pan, pressing lightly to form a disc.
5. Just like a pancake, let one side cook to a light brown, then flip and brown the other side.

I served these warm and with a sprinkle of fresh tomato, but they'd probably be delicious dressed up with (non-paleo) creme fraiche or a pico de gallo. They went great with my sauteed bell peppers and sausage. Good luck and remember to celebrate even the recipes that are only successful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment